Monday, July 25, 2022

Catholic Mysticism is Incarnational

I came across this from the lectures on Carmelite Mysticism by St Titus Brandsma. It is his feast day on the 27th and the first one since his canonisation a few months ago. 
Since reading his lectures, I truly felt I have met a friend who is helping and guiding me in my life as a Carmelite hermit. 

This quote I found very beautiful, the indwelling of the Trinity is a regular theme in Carmelite spirituality, but notice he emphasises the connection between the humanity of Jesus and our union with God? Many people try to separate mysticism from the humanity of Jesus, but this leads away from Catholicism. Following the teachings of St John of the Cross & St Teresa of Avila, we know that no matter how deep or amazing prayer may be, we can never stop meditating on the humanity of Christ. 

Through our baptism, we are united with Christ and then through his sacred humanity he unites us to the Trinity. Praise God for the gift of the sacraments, for that is where we revive the graces in authentic Catholic mysticism - Union with God 






No comments:

Post a Comment