Saturday, June 13, 2015

Being gay and Catholic

I was talking to a friend on facebook today who is gay and identifies as catholic. We were discussing how it is hard to keep faith while not feeling accepted. This is what I had to say to him based on my own experiences and my recent reconversion after my retreat at New Norcia

People will always have issues with us, but that's their problem not ours lol. As a gay catholic you feel rejected by God and the Church, and you are constantly ridiculed and attacked in the gay community. It's really tough. The two things that I always keep in mind is from the letter to the Romans where St. Paul says nothing can separate us fr the love of Christ. In other words I am the only person responsible for not being in union with Christ because he is always there loving me. The other thing to keep in mind is where Jesus tells the apostles to remember when the world hates you and persecuted you, that they did it to Jesus first. So in other words, all of our suffering, rejection, depression, problems we feel in our life - Jesus went through it too for love of us. But because we are baptised we can unite our sufferings with Jesus and offer them to him to sanctify and then that suffering is coredemptive. It makes us holy and purifies us. It's why I could never be Buddhist, I love it as a philosophy, but Catholicism is the only religion in the world where suffering is coredemptive and makes you beautiful. It's an existential faith. It's why I have my chest tattoo "beauty through sorrow"

1 comment:

  1. peace brother...
    beautiful thoughts about suffering...
    so great that we can unite them with God...
    and He can bring good from evil...
    I am a Catholic Gay Hermit... lol...but seriously...

    ReplyDelete