Friday, January 22, 2010

The Gaze

There is a saying that says: When you look out into the abyss it looks back at you.

For many people this is a frightening thought, and gives them feelings of uncertainty and even anxiety. But we know that in the face of the Ultimate Mystery, of God, of Reality and Existence, all of us are searching and longing for Meaning and Love - Truth, Goodness, and Beauty.

In the face of existential anxiety we long for a deeper meaning, we are ultimately looking for Intimacy. This Gaze longs to behold the Face of the Other - the Beloved

Let your Face shine on us O Lord and we shall be saved (psalm 80:3)

There is a beautiful song by Celine Dion that I feel captures this sentiment

Laugh and cry,
live and die
Life is a dream we are dreaming
Day by day I find my way
Look for the soul and the meaning

Then you look at me
And I always see
What I have been searching for
I'm lost as can be
Then you look at me
And I am not lost anymore

People run, sun to sun,
Caught in their lives ever flowing
Once begun, life goes till it's gone
We have to go where it's going

Then you look at me
And I always see
What I have been searching for
I'm lost as can be
Then you look at me
And I am not lost anymore

And you say you see
When you look at me
The reason you love life so
Though lost I have been
I find love again
And life just keeps on running
And life just keeps on running
You look at me and life comes from you

4 comments:

  1. Christ is present! May you have a blessed Lent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'intimacy' as I was just reading about, is in the Sacred Heart, as St. Margaret Mary was given by Jesus, to enter into His heart, to rest in Him but also so He can find his 'thirst' quenched by our response to His merciful, loving Heart that burns with Divine Love for us. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to add that your blog is great and I love your 'ruminations.' A suburban hermit (of sorts) myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much :)
      I am really sorry that I have not seen this before. I appreciate your comments

      Delete