Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Nothingness, grace and vulnerability in the Little Way

Pope Francis has recently released his awaited Apostolic Exhortation on St Therese of Liseux. It is very beautifully written and is worth taking the time to read. 

Although I am a Carmelite hermit, I always used to strongly dislike her as a spoilt brat. But then on her feast day last year, the Lord granted me a grace to let go of whatever it was that bothered me and I felt I had an older sister in Carmel. This happened after my affiliation to the Order was granted by the Prior General, and so I believe it to be one of the graces of my spiritual affiliation. Then during a very bad period while recently in hospital, I had some other consolations regarding St Therese and I have now accepted her as my sister in Carmel and my personal patron along with my dear friend St Titus Brandsma. 

We all know she is a wonderful, inspiring and powerful saint. Young and passionate, but sensitive and spoilt. A heart full of love for Jesus, but at the same time an iron will to sacrifice herself in an oblation of love. The recent consolations I have received regarding her, have make me reconsider her Little Way and Spiritual Childhood from a new perspective. Teaching me patience, kindness, charity, and vulnerability - so that the more I experience my own nothingness and sin, then I can truly say with her that “everything is grace”. 

As Pope Francis writes in the Exhortation - 
“At a time of great complexity, she can help us rediscover the importance of simplicity, the absolute primacy of love, trust and abandonment, and thus move beyond a legalistic or moralistic mindset that would fill the Christian life with rules and regulations, and cause the joy of the Gospel to grow cold.”

St Therese of Liseux - pray for us to be love in the heart of the Church, to save souls and do everything for love of Jesus. Teach us to be little children of our living God, full of confidence and trust in his Providence and love for us



No comments:

Post a Comment