Tuesday, June 7, 2022

St Titus Brandsma - Master of Mysticism

The more I learn about St Titus and his writings, the more I admire him and feel connected to him as my brother in Carmel. He was a professor who taught a course on Christian Mysticism and was known to be a great promotor of the thought of Sts Teresa of Avila & John of the Cross. Someone once joked with him how could he belong to the Ancient Observance of Carmel (Calced/unreformed) when he was so imbued with the spirit of the Discalced Carmelites (Teresian reform) - he replied cheekily with his play on words “outside of my cell I am calced (shoed) but inside my cell I am discalced (barefooted)”. This is his greatest strength - drawing from both branches of the Order to be fully Carmelite. 

In this quote you can see that he emphasises that the starting point of the mystical life is God, not us. This means it’s all a working of grace. This grace working in us is creative, the action of the Holy Spirit is always creative as He works in us to recreate us into the image of Christ. Through Christ we become one with the Holy Trinity and this is the beauty of Christian Mysticism, it is Trinitarian and only possible through grace. 




1 comment:

  1. Thank you brother for sharing to us uour reflections.

    ReplyDelete