Monday, June 29, 2020

The denial of St Peter and our own unfaithfulness

Today being the Solemnity if Sts Peter & Paul got me reflecting on the denial of St Peter and my own unfaithfulness during the Covid pandemic while churches closed. 

At the beginning of the year as you can see from previous posts I was getting back into my faith, the sacraments, going to Mass up to 5 times a week and praying Divine Office daily. Then the pandemic struck... 

Just before it did,  my brother who I have lived with for 6 years got a girlfriend and moved out (great news is I have recently found out now I will be an uncle Praise God 🙏). Then Covd hit, my hours at work got halved and I had too much time on my hands trying to adjust to being home alone - feeling isolated and depressed. During this time I fell back into sinful habits, acted out and rarely prayed. 

My unfaithfulness during this time reminded me of St Peter’s denial of our Lord. We can be so passionate and enthusiastic about our love for Jesus, yet when adversity hits then our weakness and cowardice surfaces, just like St Peter. 

But we can also remember the Lord is merciful and always ready to forgive us as soon as we turn to Him. Jesus asks us to love Him and trust Him again and again, not counting our faults but showing new mercies every moment. Jesus is faithful to us in spite of our own unfaithfulness - like St Peter, we too can become great saints through repentance. 




No comments:

Post a Comment